Where to find us:

Pewterspear Green Trust Ltd

Sports Pavilion

Beamish Close

Stretton

Warrington

Cheshire

WA4 5RL

 

Telephone: 01925 377250

Option 1 for Pavilion Enquiries

Option 2 for Estate Enquiries

Option 3 for Emergencies

 

enquiries@

pewterspeargreentrust.org.uk


Use our Contact Form

 

 

 

Local History

The Landscape Masterplan incorporates landscape and sculptural elements based on a Roman theme which is derived from the fact that the route of King Street (possibly given this name in the Middle Ages) bisects the western part of the site.  This former Roman Road ran from the settlement at Wilderspool, in Warrington south to Newcastle under Lyme.

In Roman times, Warrington was the centre of industry and was founded as a crossing place of the River Mersey for Roman soldiers to go north from their base at Deva (modern Chester) some remains have been found at Wilderspool.

The River Mersey is a river in the north-west of England.  Chester is the county town of Cheshire in the north-west of England, close to the border with Wales.

In medieval times Warrington's importance was as a bridging point on the River Mersey, and it was a fulcrum in the English Civil War.  The armies of Oliver Cromwell and the Earl of Derby both stayed near the old town centre (the Parish Church area) as Cromwell's Lodgings (now a restaurant) and the Marquis of Granby public house.  Dents in the walls of the Warrington Parish Church are rumoured to have been caused by cannons used in the Civil War.

The bridging point at Warrington was vital to the town's future growth.  The Red Lion Inn on Bridge Street in Warrington is an example of a building built exclusively for people using the bridge.

A Church dedicated to St. Matthew was built on the South West boundary of the estate between 1826 and 1827 in the reign of George IV as a Chapel of Ease to Great Budworth.  The architect was Philip Hardwick.

The present Church building was erected in 1867, designed by George Gilbert Scott and rebuilt as a memorial to Archdeacon Richard Greenall who had held office at St. Matthew's from 1831 to 1867.

A Parish Map depicting the historical, natural and social features of the area, engraved in stainless steel and mounted on a stone plinth is located at the footpath junction on the Roman Road behind St. Matthew's Church.